“Quality is never an accident, it is always the result of intelligent effort.”John Ruskin
Our Lithium Battery Technology
Our batteries are designed to be a replacement of a standard 12 volt lead-acid battery, so no special or expensive charger is required. Our batteries will work with any vehicle charging system and “modern” lead-acid battery chargers, thanks to our built-in battery management system. And our batteries are an exceptional value given the fact they last years longer than a lead-acid battery.
There is a lot of talk about lithium batteries these days, but not all lithium batteries are equal. There are dozens of different types of chemistry used in lithium batteries. Our batteries use cells made of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) chemistry that was developed in the U.S.A. This chemistry is the highest performance and safest on the market today.
Lithium batteries are fundamentally different than lead-acid batteries. The lithium cells inside the 12V battery need electronics to monitor and balance the voltage/charge of the individual cells. Other companies sell a balancing charger, which you have to plugin periodically to “top off” and balance the cells. Inside every one of our batteries is a microprocessor Battery Management System (BMS) that monitors the charge level of each cell and balances the charge when needed, protecting the cells from overcharge or over-discharge. What this means for you is more starting power, longer battery life, and the safest lithium motorsport battery on the market. All types of lithium batteries (not just ours) require a “BMS” that monitors and balances the cell charge.
The key advantages of our lithium battery over lead acid batteries are;
- Light-weight — 70-80% less weight
- Long Service Life — Up to 4000 charge / discharge cycles (~3-8 years), over 4 times the life of a lead-acid battery
- Longer Storage Life – due to extremely low self-discharge rate, no need for charging in the off-season
- Environmentally Friendly — non-toxic, non-contaminating, lead free and no hazardous materials
- Wide Operating Temperature Range (-30 C–+60C) — lithium batteries are dry cell technology and will not freeze
- Fast Charge — can be fully charged in less than a half hour
- Maintenance Free
- No Special Mounting Direction
- Safety and Reliability — internal cells are continually monitored by an integrated battery management system
The key advantages of our lithium batteries over competitors lithium batteries;
- Safety, performance and longevity are very important in the design of the EarthX battery and is the leader in the lithium market with the only battery management system included inside every battery to protect from over discharge, over charge, cell balancing, and excessive cranking protection.
- All our products are engineered in the USA
- We use American battery technology, the most advanced lithium battery technology in the world
- Our batteries are assembled, engineered and designed in the USA using US and foreign components.
- No expensive balancing charger needed.
- Flexible battery connection — our batteries can be used in either left or right side polarity applications. You also have the option to connect the battery leads directly to your vehicle.
- Integrity – our battery specifications are accurate. We won’t tell you our battery has 500CCA when it does not. We test all our batteries to industry standards (SAE, UL, CE).
A Battery for Every Motorsports Vehicle
The All-In-One complete line of lithium batteries to fit every type of motorsport vehicle, with built-in circuitry (Battery Management System, BMS) for the maximum protection, performance and life of your battery.
|Model:||Volts:||Ah (equiv.):||Crank Amps (PCA/CCA):||Weight:||Case Size:||Terminal Polarity:||Replaces|
|ETX6A||12||6||140/80||0.9 lb (.4Kg)||A||Universal||YTX4L-BS, YB4L-B, YTZ5S|
|ETX12A||12||12||220/135||1.3 lb (.6Kg)||A||Universal||YTX5L-BS, YB5L-B, YTZ7S, YTX7L-BS, YTZ10S|
|ETX12B||12||12||220/135||1.3 lb (.6Kg)||B||Universal||YTX9-BS, YB9-B, YT7B-BS, YT9-BS, YB12AL-A2, YB10L-B2, YTX7A-BS|
|ETX18B||12||18||340/230||2.2 lb (1.0Kg)||B||Universal||YT12B-BS, YT12A-BS, YT14B-BS, YB16AL-A2, YTX14AHL-BS, YTX14AH-BS, YB14-B2, YB14A-A2|
|ETX18C||12||18||340/230||2.2 lb (1.0Kg)||C||Universal||YTX12-BS, YTZ12S, YTZ14S, YTX14-BS, YTX14L-BS, YTX14H-BS, KMX14-BS, YTX16-BS, YB16B-A|
|ETX18F||12||18||340/230||2.2 lb (1.0Kg)||F||Universal||YTX9-BS, YTZ10S, YT12A-BS|
|ETX24C||12||24||420/270||2.4 lb (1.1Kg)||C||Universal||YTX16-BS, YB16B-A, YTX20CH, YTX15L-BS|
|ETX24D||12||24||420/270||2.5 lb (1.2Kg)||D||Universal||YTX20-BS, YTX20L-BS,YTX20A-BS, YTX20CH-BS, Y50-N18L-A-CX, YB16B, YB16CL-B, YB18-A|
|ETX36C-WP (Waterproof)||12||36||680/405||3.5 lb(1.5Kg)||C||Universal||YIX30L-BS|
|ETX36D||12||36||680/405||3.6 lb(1.6Kg)||D||Universal||YTX20H-BS, YTX20HL-BS, YTX24HL-BS, UB12350|
|ETX36D-WP (Waterproof)||12||36||680/405||3.6 lb(1.6Kg)||D||Universal||YTX20H-BS, YTX20HL-BS, YTX24HL-BS, UB12350|
Selecting the Proper Battery: From our website www.earthxmotorsports.com you can search for batteries based on the make and model of your motorsport vehicle, and or, cross reference to the OEM battery. When given the option of several different batteries for your vehicle, choose the one that will give the performance you are looking for (i.e. lightest weight or reliable cold weather starts).
Other Facts About Lithium Batteries
Lithium batteries voltage remains relatively constant while discharging, while voltage for a lead-acid battery decreases. A lithium battery can use 100% of its storage capability (measured as Amp-Hour, Ah), while a lead-acid battery typically only uses 30%. Lithium battery’s cranking power will not drop-off, and it will crank your engine longer. But when the lithium battery runs out of power it does so abruptly. Just like your lithium powered hand tools. LiFePO4 cells by the nature of their chemistry are 3.3 volt. 12V lithium batteries, like our motorsport batteries, are created by using 4 cells in series (technically it is a 13.2 volt battery). The lithium cells (in series) in a 12V battery pack diverge in both levels of charge and capacity with each charge/discharge cycle. This condition reduces the performance of the battery (reduces capacity) and can lead to overcharging or over discharging a cell. A cell is permanently damaged if over charged or over discharged just one time. In the case of overcharging, cells can rupture, and the entire battery will need to be replaced. Inside every one of our batteries is a microprocessor Battery Management System (BMS) that monitors the charge level of each cell and balances the charge when needed, protecting the cells from overcharge or over discharge.
- Case A Dimensions (L)x(W)x(H): 4.5×2.6×3.7in (113x66x95mm)
- Case B Dimensions (L)x(W)x(H): 5.3×2.6×4.1in (135x66x105mm)
- Case C Dimensions (L)x(W)x(H): 5.9 x 3.4 x 4.5in (150x86x115mm)
- Case D Dimensions (L)x(W)x(H): 6.9 x 3.4 x 6.1in (175x86x155mm)
- Case E Dimensions (L)x(W)x(H): 5.4 x 3.4 x 4.9in (166x86x175mm)
- Case F Dimensions (L)x(W)x(H): 5.9 x 3.4 x 3.6in (150x86x93mm)
Our batteries can sit on the shelf for up to a year without the need to charge it and still start your vehicle due to the low self discharge rate. (If you have our battery in a vehicle that has a constant draw, such as a Harley, and you don’t ride for a month, you will need to put the battery on a charger). If you have our battery in a vehicle that doesn’t have any draw, such as an ATV, Snowmobile, Jet Ski or Dirt Bike you will not need to charge the battery the entire off season and it will be ready to go!
In the event you have to charge the battery, use any “modern” lead-acid battery charger or 13.2V Lithium battery charger. By “modern” we mean a charger that was built in the last 10 years that automatically turns off when the battery is fully charged (based on volts). Also, be sure the charger’s voltage level does not exceed 15V. If the charger does not display the voltage reading, then use a voltmeter to check the voltage while charging. As with any battery you are charging, follow these safety tips:
- Never leave the battery unattended when recharging it.
- When charging a battery, place it on a non-flammable, and remove any flammable items nearby.
- Unplug chargers always after the battery reaches full charge.
- Disconnect chargers from electrical outlets when these are not in use.